Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My Compost Pile and My Composting Brain

So, I said I was going to make a compost pile in the near future. I did! I started digging holes one morning a few days ago before it started raining. I knew the rain was coming and that Scott would be home soon, so I started and he helped me finish when he came home from work. It looks great! I just put old rotting fence posts into the ground, in a triangular shape (Scott's idea so it wasn't as visible from the house), and put chicken wire around it. I also found a great stirring stick and put that in. Scott mowed the lawn the first time of this season using our newly acquired Snapper mower. We put sticks in the bottom of our compost and then used the grass/leaf clippings for our next layer. It's all ready to go and I would have a lovely picture for you, but I do not...and this is why...

My brain is also composting. I can't remember ANYTHING anymore! I used to pride myself on the fact that I had a great memory, my mom used to call me her brains. This has gotten worse since Pixie was born. So the reason I don't have a picture of my lovely rotting cage? It is because I did take that picture, but I somehow left the brand new camera on the hammock, thinking I brought it in the house, and it rained and rained and rained before Scott found it out there. We haven't touched it yet, we're hoping that it might dry out and be fine. The water has disappeared from behind the screen, but we're still waiting another day to find out.
Another example of my failing brain:
We went to visit my parents the other day and I called Becca to pick up some things to take to them on the way. In the 5 minutes I got off the phone with Becca and started on our way, I forgot to tell Scott to stop by her house. I didn't realize my forgetfulness until we almost made the entire 40 minute drive. The bad thing is that Scott has always had a worse memory than I have, so I can't count on him either.
That's my story. I will let you know when I find out the fate of our camera...and my brain.

3 comments:

Upstatemamma said...

I have a pretty good memory but I can feel it slipping lately. Hubby - forget about it. He cannot remember ANYTHING!! :)

Kizzie said...

I tried compost once, but I started it wrong so one day I was digging in my garden and stuck my hand in nasty goo! My hand smelled so so so bad for days! Seriously, smelled like a dirty diaper for a week. I haven't composted since then.

Unknown said...

Seriously Kizzie, that is gross! I don't blame you for not trying again so soon! Yuck!