Monday, March 8, 2010

Pixie's Night at the Movies

Pixie and I were settling in for another dull evening alone together. It was a nice day out, but the sunshine didn't last past nap time. Then I got a nasty and foggy headache. By the time I took the "magic candy" (as James has named the generic Excedrin) it was getting dark outside and I didn't want to take Pixie out. Becca called me at 6:30 and invited us to go with them to see "The Princess and the Frog" at the 2-dollar theater, for Family Home Evening. I was hesitant at first, but then I thought what the heck. So I said yes. This was Pixie's first movie. Well, since she was a few months old. We got there just in time and Pixie settled in between Professor and Princess. I sat behind her at was surprised at how happy and calm she was. I was ready for the darkness, loudness, length, etc to freak her out. It didn't! She was enthralled with the whole process and she even laughed at inappropriate times. Wonder where she gets that from.....? Anyway..the movie started out well and I really liked it. I really wanted to like it enough to own it, BUT I won't. For some reason this movie didn't scare Pixie. I have no idea why it didn't. She is terrified of "The Incredibles", freaks out in the beginning of "Ratatouille" when they are being chased from the country house and when Remi first falls into the kitchen at the restaurant. She also is scared of the advertisement for the Pixar Shorts DVD. 
Like I said, I really like most of this movie. I laughed a lot. I did not like the dark voodoo magic in it though. If they had just referred to them as witches or made small hints to voodoo, without the voodoo dolls and blatant black magic, it would have been ok with me. That is the main reason I don't think I will own this. If I did, there would be a few chapters to skip. I also do not like what happened to Ray at the end. Not so much the end result, but how it was started. Ew. I loved Ray's character, Charlotte's too. They made me laugh! The music was so great. I just wish they would have made it more child friendly. I saw Princess hiding her eyes a couple of times, don't know about the boys. I also didn't like the hunters hitting each other, but of course, I laughed a lot. I don't, however, want my child to think that hitting is funny.
Disney, you disappoint me again. It was so close to being a favorite! Why do they have to make villains so villainous in their kid movies? The point of it is to be good wholesome entertainment, right? Not to scare children and cause nightmares! Really, Disney, you can take the bad guys down a notch and the kids will still get it.

4 comments:

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

YOU WON! Congrats you won the Smarti Pants Cloth Dipe Giveaway!! Sending you an email now :)

Kizzie said...

We took the boys to see that too! I was really nervous to take them to the movies, well mostly Jack. Avery went for the first time with Andy a few months ago. They did really well though.

I agree about the movie. I with they'd left some things out. Avery really did not like when the guys were hitting each other, but was surprisingly not scared at all by the voo doo stuff. It was a cute story, but not something my kids will probably watch again.

Helmbunch said...

What a great milestone for pixie. I am sorry that the move left something to be desired. It is for this reason that Bill and I always insist on seeing a movie before the children. Often they have to wait for the DVD to see movies. Good news is, my children, even as teens accept this, bad news is they miss the whole movie experience which is part of growing up. It is not the best way to deal with it, but it is what we could figure out. Let me know if you have a better idea as I am always open to new options. I think you are doing a wonderful job--she is growing so much and becoming so delightful to be around. Love you Karen.

Rebecca Blevins said...

Shoot. Blogger ate my comment.

Anyway, it was fun to have you there! I wasn't pleased at certain aspects of the movie, and think it definitely should have been rated PG. We won't be owning it, but it sparked discussion between us and our children.